'Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil job.'

That rather cheeky line was uttered by Robby the Robot in the 1956 film Forbidden Planet, one of the great sci-fi movies of the 1950s. Robby himself is just as famous and is up there with the robotic greats like Maria in Metropolis, R2 D2 and C3PO in Star Wars, Huey, Duey and Louie in Silent Running, the Robot in Lost in Space  and even the dastardly Box in Logan's Run, ED209 in Robocop and Arnold Schwartzenegger's Terminator.

As befits his iconic nature Robby has been produced as a model on several occasions over the years, most recently by Polar Lights. On a visit to London three years ago, I came back with this model and quickly made it up and painted it shortly afterwards. I won't win any prizes for my effort, but it was a nice, simple, fun model to do and a cinch to paint - let's face it, you can't really go wrong when it's all black.

My other favourite Robby line comes when the ship's captain notes, "Nice planet you have here. High oxygen content."
"I rarely use it myself, sir. It promotes rust." Robby replies.

Anyhow, just a few pictures.

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment