Large Scale Ultramarines Sergeant (2)

As seen in the previous post I've also done some work on the legs and torso of my Ultramarine model. Really, I have been using the torso especially, to practice my rust effect. Or is it rust? My brother (also a major 40K anorak) reminded me that the space marine's armour is actually supposed to be made of ceramite, a composite ceramic material, so the rusty colour could also represent a sort of terra cotta coloured ceramic body beneath the paint - never thought about that before.
 
After I'd let the body dry off following its second dunking in a jar of Dettol, I gave it a scrub in warm soapy water and then, once dry, I undercoated the torso in black. The body had still looked rather mucky before painting, but the coat of black paint showed that there were no major faults with the piece, so I happily moved onto the painting. The breastplate and belt were coated in GW Ultramarine Blue, with only the abdomen and the Aquila symbol on the breastplate left black.
 
As I was going to have the Aquila in gold I then coated this with Citadel White Base paint. This dried quickly and I proceeded to cover it with Citadel Shining Gold. This needs to be put on in several coats, not to keep it thin or to disguise brush strokes, but because the white does show through quite sharply and it took about three goes, with drying time in between, to get total coverage. The overall effect once the last coat is dry is quite impressive, but I then dulled this down by giving the gold a thick wash of Gryphone Sepia shade. I lay the torso flat on its back whilst it dried, so that the shade would not run and instead settled in between the feathers of the Aquila.
 
Once the piece was dry the formerly shiny gold was very matt, so to perk it up I then dry brushed the surface with Citadel Burnished Gold, then to show even brighter highlights, a mixture of Burnished Gold and Mithril Silver. All that was required then was to go around the Aquila with some more black paint and later cover that with more Ultramaine Blue. The recesses and lines on the blue parts of the body were then coated liberally with Azurmen Blue Shade to get those shadows in the nooks and crannies. The torso was then left to dry out thoroughly overnight.
 
The next day I moved on to putting the numerous rust/ceramite spots on the armour and across the Aquila, using the same technique I used with the helmet. With this technique I think the old maxim of 'less is more' applies, I've tried to keep the amount of damage minimal to give the impression of wear, but not of neglect. But that is all down to personal choice, really.
 
As I know what the pose is going to be, once the body had dried to my satisfaction, out came the superglue and I stuck the helmet in place.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment