Friday, 11 October 2013

Miniart Gladiator (7)

Making this model seems to be turning into something of a mini series, but I'm enjoying myself, and it's good to keep a record of how the build is progressing. Truth to be told, I'm posting this entry two days late and I've done some significant extra work on the model since then, but I'll cover that in the next post.
 
In this post I'm putting in a few images of the first bit of non-skin painting on the model, namely the figure's loin cloth and belt. To paint the clothing I could have chosen any paint I liked, acrylic, enamel, oil paint, etc., but I had already decided that I was actually going to use the Roasted Red paint from a Dulux tester pot. Anyone reading my earlier post on the Miniart Roman Legionary will have seen that I have previously used blue from a tester pot to paint the figure's long tunic. I did actually use this particular red colour on that model in a small way, namely on the neck cloth, but this time it would be the star of the show.
 
Always keep an open mind re paint.
 
Painted over the white base paint, the red went on easily and gave good coverage with very little effort. Contrary to what you might expect these paints are perfectly stable on a model and I think the slight roughness they have gives cloth especially a nice homespun look. Anyhow, I digress. The cloth done, I then painted the belt with my Vallejo bronze paint and set the figure aside to dry. One this was done I then coated the cloth with a liberal amount of Army Painter Soft Tone ink (note to self: need to order some more Army Painter inks - getting low). When dried this had settled into the folds of the cloth, shading it nicely and giving the formerly satin-ish cloth a matt finish.

Army Painter Soft Tone goes on
 
Leave to dry

The finished product.

When the entirety was dry, I went over the cloth with more red paint and mixing a very small amount of tester pot white with the Roasted Red, I then highlighted some parts of the cloth to provide a little definition.
 
Having done this, later that day something occurred to me; this geezer is supposed to be a Mediterranean type, but he looks like a pasty skinned northerner like yours truly; he needs a tan. Cue the oil paints once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment