After a few utterly manic days at work, it has been good to knuckle down and enjoy a little me time and finish my Airfix model of an English Pikeman. Several evenings ago I undercoated the whole figure in a sand coloured enamel and left it overnight and the next day easily blocked in most of the colours.
The armour was painted first with Humbrol 67 enamel paint 'Panzer Grey' to give it an overall tarnished look. This was then dry brushed with Games Workshop (GW) Boltgun Metal which I also then used more precisely by using a fine brush and painting thin lines and scratches on the armour to indicate battle damage from the rough and tumble of a push of pikes. I think it works quite well. When this and everything else was done to my satisfaction, I coated the figure with a layer of Army Painter Soft Tone. Once this too was dry I went over the parts I wanted clean or highlighted with more of the original colour, leaving the shading in the folds and recesses.
As anyone who has seen some of my other entries will know, I sometimes despair about my basing skills. Some people produce bases for their model that are absolute works of art, but mine aren't. I don't know why that is, perhaps I just lose interest once the figure itself is done and dusted and happily accept any old rubbish at the time, only to regret it afterwards. Just recently, though, I came across grass tufts being sold for model makers on eBay. I ordered some green tufts and a few days later received a small box of them all laid out neatly on a backing sheet. These tufts can be peeled or plucked off the sheet (being a pudding fingers I opted to use tweezers) and stuck down in place. The ones I purchased have adhesive bases and stick down quite firmly without any additional glue. Though I think they are designed more to be used with 28mm figures and the like, once I had finished my figure (already glued to its base) I used these tufts to simulate a grassy field. Though rather bumpy looking, I think this works reasonably well and it certainly saves me pulling my hair out and beating myself up over another rubbish base. To finish the figure off I first undercoated the edge of the stand in enamel black and then painted it over with black acrylic.
I will leave the other figure I purchased, an English musketeer, for a later date as I'm going to try and make an effort to get several half-finished projects out of the way first.