ICM 1:16 British Grenadier Queen's Guards (2)


Day two of the build and we woke up this morning to glorious sunshine; spring it seems, has sprung. It's only a pity that I was not able to get cracking on my model straight away, but the house has to be cleaned, shopping done, etc. Still, it was a pleasant stroll in the sunshine around to the shops, accompanied by the sound of bells ringing out from our church up the road.
 
Once  back home, I was able to spend a couple of hours sprucing up the several parts of the kit that I had assembled yesterday, carving back the hardened glue at the seams and buffing away any unwanted marks. The tunic came up a treat and after I had tidied it up, I glued the figure's head in place. I also test fitted the bearskin (now plus its plume) on the head and found it was rather a tight, insecure fit, so I used my small engraving tool to put a slight bevel at the back of the figure's head. After that it went on nicely.
 
The trousers took a little more work and I needed to use a file to even out a couple of rough patches before sanding it all back with fine sandpaper. In the process I obliterated a good portion of the stripe up each leg, so pencilled in the line for future reference. The figure's boots were then cleaned up and glued into place and I put all the assembled parts together and posed them on the stand. Looking good so far.
 
Adding a bevel to the back of the head to improve the fit.
 
 
Looking good!
 
The next job was the hands. These are the familiar palms-and-fingers combo that you often get with 1:16 kits, wherein the fingers need to be glued to the rest of the hand. The left hand is a simple lightly clenched fist which would slot into place in the end of the arm, held fast by the back of the cuff which was filled separately. The right hand was similar except that the hand and cuff were one piece. N.B. The right hand holds the butt of the soldier's SA80 rifle and one thing I did note was that you need to pop the gun in place against the arm and into the hand, so as to get the grip just right before the glue sets. The two cuffs, meanwhile, afforded the only occasion so far where I've needed to use some filler to plug a gap, as when the hands were in place they made the rear join on the cuff pop apart very slightly. I could have simply carved the wrists back to compensate, but the gap was so minor that I simply pasted on some Plasto on each, let it set for an hour before buffing it back. No problem.
 
 
 
Cue a break for Sunday dinner. The hiatus was useful as it let everything set nicely and later in the afternoon I returned to the model and after cleaning up the hands I decided to undercoat a number of items - the gun, the face and tunic and the hands and cuffs, all in the appropriate coloured enamels.
 

 
 
I have also made a choice re the stand and have gone for the curved cobbles, which will I think provide a slightly quirky visual counterpoint to the square formality of the soldier's pose. The cobbles were painted in panzer grey enamel and when touch dry I used several varying shades of grey (but not fifty, oh no) to give the cobbles a bit of variety. The main stand had earlier been given a couple of coats of Humbrol 33 matt black acrylic to make it look more formal. I think I might give it a coat of gloss varnish when everything is done. The cobbles meanwhile have been given a couple of coats of Army Painter Strong Tone to blend the thing together more and when these had dried I glued them into place on the stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment